Monday, January 27, 2014

Unexpected Goodbye

This is personal stuff, but I just have to send it out there. Maybe I'm pretending he'll read it.
But I just found out a spectacular human being, and dear friend, Justin Kinnaird, died today. I don't know how it happened. I don't know why it happened. I have so many mixed emotions right now. The one that rules them all is sadness. So many memories. This was a person who was kind to everyone. He was generous. He was hilarious. I cried so many times because he had me in stitches. We went on trips together, small spontaneous ones. Vegas, Lake Powell, Salmon. Our performing group at Ricks toured the northwestern U.S. and Canada. So many memories. We wrote a boring English paper together with Suzy on whether or not St. John's Wort was effective.  Who cares? He, Suzy and I spent hours in his "men only" dorm room listening to music and goofing off. We spent more time joking around than giving it any real effort. We loved to sing together. He loved it when I sang, "I have dreamed." He was always ready to pay a compliment and make a person feel worthwhile. He was always ready to see humor in any situation.
Laughter, music, more laughter. Good Friendship.

I was bawling in the kitchen tonight, trashing myself because I've been such a bad friend.
Distance, it happens. And I didn't really do anything to stop it. Then again, neither did he.
But Alfonso said that life goes on. We head down our different paths. Just because those paths don't always coincide doesn't mean our memories weren't real or our friendship isn't true.

My path has led me here.
His path has led him home.
We can still be and always will be friends. Always.
I pray that God will love him, hug him tight, and help him know that I care.

And as for the distance, I do have regret.
Regret.
My choir teacher, Ms. Webb always told us to "Live without regrets"
I never thought to ask her,
What if we mess up and end up having regrets?
What if our friends die?
How do we resolve regrets then?

Now there's a good question that I can't answer tonight.

What I can do:
I can pray for him.
I can pray for his family.
I can hope for his happiness.
I can recall our many memories with fondness.

I can still see him in his mom's living room that afternoon, I turned to leave and he gave me my coat and said with New York accent and a smile, "Don't be a stranger."

You'll be missed.
 

No comments: