Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Imaginary Friends: Harvey, Bubble Buddy, and Squella

Have you ever seen the movie, "Harvey"? If not, it's time. I don't use the word "charming" often, but it's the only word I can think of to describe this film. At the heart of the story is Elwood P. Dowd and his unflinching devotion to his "imaginary friend," a 6 foot, 3 and 1/2 inch tall rabbit named Harvey. In the film you really come to wonder if Harvey is real.
 
A Movie Poster for "Harvey."

Elwood commissions a painting of himself and his "friend."
The reason I bring this up is because little 3-year-old Mia (as you may know from my "kids say the darndest things" column) is starting to have a few imaginary friends with hilarious names. So far, it's not a problem. She talks to them and plays with them. Today she asked for some cheese for her friend Squella. After I served enough cheese for Squella AND Mia, Mia announced that Squella doesn't like cheese and graciously offered to eat the cheese for her. It reminds me of the SpongeBob Squarepants episode, "Bubble Buddy." Where SpongeBob creates a friend out of boredom and bugs the heck out of everyone in Bikini Bottom.
 
SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy on the See-Saw.
I figure there's no harm in Mia's little "friend(s)" as long as it's just for fun and it doesn't get too weird if you know what I mean? I guess my question is, did you ever have an imaginary friend? If you did, tell me more.

I'd love some feedback on this.

No comments: