Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Impression and Influence

When we moved into the house I bought some lovely bath rugs for the "master bathroom." They were white and extremely soft. Needless to say, I loved them. Which makes the next turn of events so difficult to relate. It all happened so fast.

Well, they needed to be washed. I put them in the washing machine. And stupidly, for reasons beyond my comprehension, I put in our RED kitchen rug in the washing machine as well. I put in the soap, I turned on the washer and daftly walked away. I was grief stricken later when I checked on the status of the washing rugs and saw some neon pink rugs swishing around inside. The kitchen rug wasn't even that red! I used cold water?!! They didn't set for long?! Three washes and several tons of bleach later, I realized that my once lovely white rugs were forever doomed to be bright Pepto Bismol pink. Come on people, there's no pink in my house!??! Determined to learn something from my mistake I walked away with a laundry lesson and a life lesson;

LESSON #1 When doing laundry, don't mix colors.

LESSON #2 Stay true to your colors, and be aware of your influence/influences (whether bad or good).

Seriously, how impressionable are we? How careful are we regarding the company we keep or the entertainment we embrace? Am I a red rug or a white rug? The RED rug didn't change at all, but it sure left a lasting impression on the white rugs. I'm not saying that mixing and mingling is bad. I AM saying that we need to be aware of how others influence us, and how we influence others. Now, if only I'd told that to the rugs sooner. . .

Will surveys the damage.

7 comments:

Aloha_Misty said...

Oh! That is just crazy. Your rugs would make my Sabrina so happy! She would love a pink bathroom! I don't suppose you will be moving those to the bathroom for the boys to use!

Rochelle said...

I like pink too. Dangit. I think I just need to have a girl :)

Karley said...

Is that an announcement?

Rochelle said...

No, I wish.

Delynn said...

I have a few girls running aroung here, I'll have it.

Tiffany Hales said...

LOL, so sorry!

Rachel Ure said...

It's a lovely pink. i say go with it- let your pinker side shine through. By-the-way, I was telling someone in salt lake that i knew a lot of people with amazing voices- you're one of those people! If i ever get a chance to do some music in the future i totally want to use your voice talents. this means we must keep in touch. :)